Quick Exit
With Respect is not a crisis response service. For crisis responses phone:
  • 000 Victoria Police for immediate safety
  • 1800 RESPECT family violence and sexual assault 24-hour telephone support
  • 1800 015 188 Safe Steps Victoria available 24 hours for crisis support for women
To leave this site quickly, click the quick exit button.

Provide feedback or make a complaint

w|respect acknowledges that the work of the LGBTIQ family violence sector is new and emerging and that feedback (both positive and negative) is essential to improving the system and sectors, as well as our practice.

There are still many barriers faced by LGBTIQ people accessing services and supports. We all have a responsibility to uphold standards of practice that are inclusive, responsive, and improve safety for LGBTIQ Victorians affected by family violence.

Victoria currently has an unprecedented number of anti-discrimination protections for LGBTIQ people under both State and Federal law.

Anti-discrimination laws are not about treating everybody the same. Instead, they acknowledge that everybody has different backgrounds and needs and that everybody is entitled to quality care and support when accessing a service. It is important that we receive your feedback in order to build capacity and improve service responses.

The Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 is a Victorian law that sets out the basic rights, freedoms and responsibilities of all people in Victoria, including the right to be free from discrimination. It considers that extra effort may be necessary to prevent further discrimination against people who have been discriminated against in the past, including LGBTIQ people. Under both the Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Commonwealth) and the Equal Opportunity Act 2010 (Commonwealth), LGBTIQ people are entitled to the same quality of treatment and care as everybody else. These Acts oblige organisations not to do anything that would put LGBTIQ consumers at a disadvantage compared to other clients. This responsibility is called positive duty. This not only means adopting inclusive policies but also ensuring staff are well trained in inclusive practice.

In addition to the protections granted by the above legislation, Family Violence services are also guided by the 2016 Victorian Royal Commission into Family Violence which produced a number of LGBTIQ specific recommendations (166-169).

Workers and service users have the right to make a complaint if they feel the above standards have not been met, and to do so without fear of further consequence. We also understand that these mechanisms can be challenging for people to navigate. We are here to help you know your rights, provide feedback, and support you to make a complaint. Call 1800 LGBTIQ if we can assist you through this process.

If you think you or your client has been discriminated against or received poor service

There are a number of bodies that service users and workers can engage to provide feedback or when making a complaint.

The Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission has comprehensive information on protections for LGBTI Rights.

The Department of Health and Human Services has information about complaints pathways for government-funded services.

The Victorian Ombudsman is a body that investigates actions and decisions taken by government departments and agencies, and can refer to other complaint resolution bodies as appropriate. 

For individual health practitioners, complaints can be directed to AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioner Agency), the registration authority for health professionals.  

Victorian Legal Aid can provide free legal services and advice. There is a lot of information about the law relating to discrimination on their website.

In addition to these external bodies, most agencies will have internal complaints processes. The w|respect intake team can be contacted for information and support around raising a complaint about discrimination encountered in a service environment. If you have feedback including concerns and complaints about w|respect, please contact 1800 LGBTIQ, or at your discretion one of the peak bodies listed above.