Quick Exit
With Respect is not a crisis response service. For crisis responses phone:
  • 000 Victoria Police for immediate safety
  • 1800 RESPECT family violence and sexual assault 24-hour telephone support
  • 1800 015 188 Safe Steps Victoria available 24 hours for crisis support for women
To leave this site quickly, click the quick exit button.

Separation and Divorce

Property division after separation

Some LGBTIQ people may have concerns about whether their relationships will be recognised and their financial assets protected when they separate, given the relatively recent changes to the law.

In summary, laws regarding property division after separation apply equally to all partners regardless of the gender of those involved. Married and de facto couples are able to make an application for a property settlement under the Family Law Act. Further advice on separation and divorce should be sought from a Victoria Legal Aid community legal centre or private solicitors. Fitzroy and St Kilda Legal Services have LGBTIQ-friendly family law clinics and are able to refer people to a private solicitor with experience working in LGBTIQ family violence and family law matters.

1800 LGBTIQ | 1800 542 847