The Orange Door
The Orange Door is one of the central reforms flowing from the Royal Commission. The Orange Door sites (also referred to as the Support and Safety Hubs) are designed to be the primary access points for female-identified people experiencing family violence and their children, family services and perpetrator services. While the Victims Support Agency will continue to be the main service supporting male-identified people experiencing family violence, they may also choose to access The Orange Door.
There will be seventeen Orange Door sites across the state, with a staged roll out to be completed by 2021. More details are available on the Victorian Government’s web site.
The Orange Door provides:
- an initial contact point with the latest information and referrals
- a crisis response, including practical assistance, within business hours (with Safe Steps and the Men’s Referral Service continuing to receive referrals out of hours)
- immediate referrals to specialist services such as legal advice, accommodation, medical treatment and care, and coordination with protective services (such as Victoria Police) to provide flexible responses tailored to individual needs.
Some things to be aware of if you are considering referring LGBTIQ people to The Orange Door:
- The complete rollout of all 17 Orange Door sites covering the state will not be until 2020-22.
- LGBTIQ people may prefer to go to an LGBTIQ service such as w/respect, or may request The Orange Door refer them to w/respect. Secondary consults are available to the Orange Door from w/respect.
- The Orange Door is open to anyone experiencing or perpetrating family violence. Men experiencing family violence have traditionally been referred to the Victims Support Agency but if they choose to receive support from The Orange Door, that will also be available.
- Over time The Orange Door will undergo Rainbow Tick accreditation and there is specific practice guidance for workers within The Orange Door in relation to working with LGBTIQ people, but this capacity will take some time to develop.